How do I Begin?
It's free ... It's convenient ... It's fun!
Take your first step by joining Steps2Health:
You can register online, or by calling Mercy Medical Center at (319) 398-6086 to receive a form in the mail. You may also pick one up at the information desks at Mercy Medical Center, Mercy Fitness Center, Westdale Mall, Lindale Mall Guest Services, or at any MercyCare Clinic.
Register and receive
Walking log to track your walks.
- Mileage rewards - walking logs returned for monthly prize drawings.
- Monthly health seminars and screenings by healthcare professionals from Mercy Medical Center.
- Monthly electronic newsletter featuring health information, recipes and Steps2Health and Mercy Medical Center events.
Check with your doctor before starting your walking program, especially if you are currently under care for medical conditions or have been inactive.
What to Wear
- Select comfortable, cushioned and well-fitted athletic shoes.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing. Dress in layers that you can remove as you warm up during your walking routine.
Additional Things to Remember
- Drink plenty of water before, during and after walking.
- Watch your posture, standing straight with relaxed shoulders, arms swinging naturally.
- Remember to breathe in through your nose and exhale through your mouth as you walk.
- Pace yourself! If you haven't walked for a while, it's best to start at an easy level. Gradually increase your pace and distance.
What if You Experience Difficulties
If you experience any of the symptoms below, stop walking and call for help:
- Chest pain
- Irregular heartbeat