How do I Begin?
It's free. It's convenient. It's fun!
Take your first step by joining Steps2Health:
You can register online, download and print a form, or call Mercy Medical Center at (319) 221-8674 to receive a form in the mail. You may also pick one up at the information desks at Mercy Medical Center.
Register and receive
- A walking log to track your walks.
- Mileage rewards – return your walking logs for monthly prize drawings.
- Monthly health seminars, webinars and screenings by healthcare professionals from Mercy Medical Center.
- A monthly e-newsletter featuring health information, recipes and Steps2Health and Mercy Medical Center events.
Check with your doctor before starting your walking program, especially if you are currently under care for medical conditions or have been inactive.
What to Wear
- Select comfortable, cushioned and well-fitted athletic shoes.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing. Dress in layers that you can remove as you warm up during your walking routine.
- Drink plenty of water before, during and after walking.
- Watch your posture, standing straight with relaxed shoulders, arms swinging naturally.
- Remember to breathe in through your nose and exhale through your mouth as you walk.
- Pace yourself! If you haven't walked for a while, it's best to start at an easy level. Gradually increase your pace and distance.
If You Experience Difficulties
If you experience any of the symptoms below, stop walking and call for help:
- Chest pain
- Irregular heartbeat