2010 Especially for You
race is largest in event’s 20-year
Nearly 15,500 registrants raise more than $315,000 for the EFY fund
– Beautiful autumn weather greeted participants at the 20th annual Especially For You® Race Against Breast Cancer on Sunday, Oct. 10, at Mercy Medical Center. This year’s race is the largest in the event’s history, with more than 15,470 people registered. That compares to the previous high of 11,575 in 2009.
Proceeds from race registrations go to the Especially for You fund. This year more than $315,000 in registrations was raised for the fund, which provides mammography and other breast-care services for area women who cannot otherwise afford them. Since 1991, the fund has been accessed by 4,500 women, for a total of $1.3M in services.
General Mills and Mercy Medical Center are co-founders of the race, which includes a 5K run and walk and a one-mile family fun walk. Men may participate non-competitively in the 5K run.
The Especially for You Race has experienced tremendous growth since the first race in 1991 when 1,078 people participated.
2010 Event Details
-Total registrants: At least 15,470
- Money raised for the Especially for You fund: More than $315,000 in race registrations. (Plus, $62,000 in patron contributions & $88,000 in corporate contributions)
-Total number of registered teams: 378
Top Business Teams with Most Members:
1. Mercy Medical Center - 1197
2. Fairfax State Savings Bank – 1078
3. Aegon – 440
Top Organization Teams with Most Members:
1. TIE: Kennedy Volleyball – 127, Metro Catholic Schools - 127
2. Gems of Hope - 115
3. Women’s Network - 109
Top Family Teams with Most Members
1. Team Suzie Cook - 200
2. Lynette’s League – 115
3. Team Vinton – 102