Largest-ever Especially for You® Race raises $375,000 for EFY fund
The 2011 Especially For You® Race Against Breast Cancer, on Sun., Oct. 2, turned out to be the largest in the event’s 21-year history, with 15,792 people registering. That compares to the previous high of 15,464 in 2010.
Proceeds from race registrations go to the Especially for You fund. This year, more than $375,000 in registrations was raised for the fund, which provides mammography and other breast-care services for area women and men who cannot otherwise afford them. In its 21-year history, the race has surpassed $2.1 million in total fundraising. In 2010, the Especially for You fund was able to help 605 individuals receive 831 services right here in Linn County.
General Mills and Mercy Medical Center are co-founders of the race, which includes a 5K run and walk and a one-mile family fun walk. Men participate non-competitively in the 5K run.
The Especially for You Race has experienced tremendous growth since the first race in 1991 when 1,078 people participated.
2011 Event Details
Total registrants: At least 15,792
- Money raised for the Especially for You fund: More than $375,000 in race registrations.
- Total number of registered teams: 383
- Top Business Teams with Most Members:
- Mercy Medical Center – 1,383
- Fairfax State Savings Bank – 1,109
- Top Organization Teams with Most Members:
- Coe College – 131
- Kennedy Volleyball – 126
- Paws for the Cause – 119
- Top Family Teams with Most Members
- Team Suzie Cook – 198
- Becky’s Bosom Buddies – 124
- Lynette’s League – 108
- Participants at the race represented 27 states, 495 U.S. cities and came from as far away as Australia and the Czech Republic.
- The youngest registered participant was 6 months old. The oldest participants were Anthony and Stephanie Kilkenny (from Kansas) at 100 years old.
- This year’s t-shirt color was purple. The color is changed every year.
Race results will be posted at www.especiallyforyourace.org on Mon., Oct. 3.