Especially for You® Race raises more than $376,000 for EFY fund
The 2012 Especially For You® Race Against Breast Cancer, on Sun., Oct. 7 was one of the largest in race history, with 15,250 people registering.
Proceeds from race registrations go to the Especially for You fund. This year, more than $376,000 in registrations was raised for the fund, which provides mammography and other breast-care services for area women and men who cannot otherwise afford them. In 2011, the Especially for You fund was able to help 629 individuals receive 889 services right here in Linn County.
General Mills and Mercy Medical Center are co-founders of the race, which includes a 5K run, 5K walk and a one-mile family fun walk.
The Especially for You Race has experienced tremendous growth since the first race, in 1991, when 1,078 participated.
2012 Event Details
- Total registrants: More than 15,250
- Money raised for the Especially for You fund: More than $376,000 in race registrations.
- Total number of registered teams: 388 (383 in 2011)
Top Business Teams with Most Members:
- Mercy Medical Center - 1,436
- Fairfax State Savings Bank – 1,118
Top Organization Teams with Most Members:
- Coe College – 186
- Kennedy Volleyball – 100
- Mt. Mercy University - 80
Top Family Teams with Most Members
- Team Suzie Cook – 187
- Pamela Jo - 67
- Team Fergie - 66
- Participants at the race represented 31 states, 427 U.S. cities and came from as far away as Australia.
- The oldest female participant was Grace Ihde at 98 years old. The oldest male participant was Tom Kaut at 89 years old.
- Total number of individuals served by the Especially for You fund in 2011 – 629
- Total number of cancer survivors registered for the race – 598
- This year’s t-shirt color was lime green. The color is changed every year.
Race results will be posted at www.especiallyforyourace.org later this week.