Especially for You® Race raises more than $370,000 for EFY fund
More than 15,100 people participated in the 2013 Especially For You® Race Against Breast Cancer on Sunday, Oct. 13 at Mercy Medical Center.
Proceeds from race registrations go to the Especially for You fund. This year, more than $370,000 in registrations was raised for the fund, which provides mammography and other breast-care services for area individuals who cannot otherwise afford them. In 2012, the Especially for You fund was able to help 773 people receive more than 1,000 services right here in Linn County.
General Mills and Mercy Medical Center are co-founders of the race, which includes a 5K run, 5K walk and a one-mile family fun walk.
The Especially for You Race has experienced tremendous growth since the first race in 1991, when 1,078 people participated.
2013 Event Details
- Total registrants: More than 15,100
- Money raised for the Especially for You fund: More than $370,000 in race registrations.
- Total number of registered teams: 423 (up from 388 in 2012)
Teams with Most Members:
- Mercy Medical Center - 1414
- Fairfax State Savings Bank – 978
- Transamerica – 450
Top Organization Teams with Most Members:
- Coe College – 148
- Kennedy Volleyball – 83
- Mt. Mercy University - 78
Top Business Teams with Most Members
- OB-Gyn Associates PC – 175
- Schimberg Co. – 151
- General Mills – 134
Top Family Teams with Most Members
- Team Suzie Cook – 160
- Pamela Jo - 93
- Team Mary Wetherell – 91
- Participants at the race represented 35 states, 486 U.S. cities and came from as far away as France, the Czech Republic and Australia.
- The oldest female participant was Odessa Stout at 93 years old. The oldest male participant was Tom Kaut at 88 years old.
- Total number of individuals served by the Especially for You fund in 2012 – 773
- Total number of cancer survivors registered for the race – 580
- This year’s t-shirt color was red. The color is changed every year.
- Race results will be posted at www.especiallyforyourace.org later this week.