Especially for You® Race raises more than $400,000 for EFY fund
Nearly 14,500 people registered for the 2014 Especially For You® Race Against Breast Cancer on Sunday, Oct. 5 at Mercy Medical Center.
Proceeds from race registrations go to the Especially for You fund. This year more than $400,000 in registrations was raised for the fund, which provides mammography and other breast-care services for area individuals who cannot otherwise afford them. In the last three years alone the Especially for You fund has helped 1,922 people receive services right here in Linn County.
General Mills and Mercy Medical Center are co-founders of the race, which includes a 5K run, 5K walk and a family fun walk. A new course route this year took 5K participants through the Oak Hill Jackson neighborhood, across two bridges over the Cedar River, through Czech Village and the NewBo district, and down Third Street to the finish line near Greene Square Park. Participants enjoyed live music and entertainment along the route, with more fun, music and children’s activities at the park.
The Especially for You Race has experienced tremendous growth since the first race in 1991, when1,078 people participated. The race and Especially for You fund are dedicated to the memory of Sandy Knight, a Whittier resident and General Mills employee who died of breast cancer in July 1991.
2014 Event Details
- Total registrants: More than 14,500
- Money raised for the Especially for You fund: More than $400,000 in race registrations.
- Total number of registered teams: 376
Teams with Most Members:
- Mercy Medical Center - 1,460
- Fairfax State Savings Bank – 967
- Transamerica – 310
Top Organization Teams with Most Members:
- Cougar Volleyball - 87
- Coe College - 86
- Mt. Mercy University - 78
Top Business Teams with Most Members
- OB-Gyn Associates PC – 223
- General Mills – 176
- Schimberg Co. - 122
Top Family Teams with Most Members
- Team Pamela Jo – 108
- Team Suzie Cook – 98
- Team Krista - 58
- Race participants represented 28 states, 407 U.S. cities and came from as far away as Australia and China.
- The oldest registrant was Grade Ihde at 100 years old.
- Total number of cancer survivors registered for the race – 586
- This year’s t-shirt color was sapphire blue. The color is changed every year.
- Race results will be posted at www.especiallyforyourace.org later this week.