Especially for You® Race celebrates 25 years with near record turnout
More than 15,700 people registered for the 25th annual Especially For You® Race Against Breast Cancer on Sunday, Oct. 4 at Mercy Medical Center. That’s the second largest turnout in race history, just shy of the record set in 2011 of 15,792 participants.
Proceeds from race registrations benefit the Especially for You fund. This year, more than $415,000 in registrations was raised for the fund, which provides financial assistance for mammography, biopsies, ultrasounds and other breast-care services for area individuals in need. In the last five years, the Especially for You fund has helped more than 3,000 people receive 5,500 services right here in Linn County.
General Mills and Mercy Medical Center are co-founders of the race, which includes a 5K run, 5K walk and a family fun walk. A new course route this year took participants through downtown Cedar Rapids, finishing in the NewBo district. A party at the finish line included live music, free kids’ activities, team photo opportunities, mascots, massages and a pancake breakfast.
The Especially for You Race has experienced tremendous growth since the first race in 1991, when1,078 people participated. The race and Especially for You fund are dedicated to the memory of Sandy Knight, a Whittier resident and General Mills employee who died of breast cancer in July 1991. It was her wish to establish a race to raise funds for breast cancer awareness and education.
2015 Race Details
- Total registrants: More than 15,700 – the second largest turnout in race history
- Money raised for the Especially for You fund: More than $415,000 in race registrations.
- Total number of registered teams: 403
Teams with Most Members:
- Mercy Medical Center – 1,400
- Fairfax State Savings Bank – 1,073
- Transamerica – 352
Top Organization Teams with Most Members:
- Kennedy Volleyball - 95
- Linn Grove Loves Lindsay - 65
- Coe College - 64
Top Business Teams with Most Members:
- General Mills - 266
- OB-GYN Associates PC – 175
- Schimberg Co. - 148
Top Family Teams with Most Members:
- Team Pamela Jo – 100
- Team Deb – Live Life Until the End – 71
- The Walford Smash - 70
- Race participants represented 35 states, 464 U.S. cities and came from as far away as Australia and Spain.
- The oldest registrant was Jeanna Randall at 95 years old.
- Total number of cancer survivors registered for the race – 661
- This year’s t-shirt color was hot pink. The color is changed every year.
- Race results will be posted at www.especiallyforyourace.org later today.