Especially for You® Race celebrates 26 years with near-record turnout
More than 15,560 people registered for the 26th annual Especially For You® Race Against Breast Cancer on Sunday, Oct. 9 at Mercy Medical Center. That’s the third largest turnout in race history, just shy of the record set in 2011 of 15,792 participants.
Proceeds from race registrations benefit the Especially for You fund. This year, more than $481,000 in registrations was raised for the fund, which provides financial assistance for mammography, biopsies, ultrasounds and other breast-care services for area individuals in need. Since 2008, the Especially for You fund has helped more than 5,000 people receive 9,000+ services right here in Linn County.
General Mills and Mercy Medical Center are co-founders of the race, which includes a 5K run, 5K walk and a family fun walk. A familiar course route took participants through downtown Cedar Rapids, finishing in the NewBo district. A party at the finish line included live music, free kids’ activities, team photo opportunities, mascots, massages and a pancake breakfast.
The Especially for You Race has experienced tremendous growth since the first race in 1991, when 1,078 people participated. The race and Especially for You fund are dedicated to the memory of Sandy Knight, a Whittier resident and General Mills employee who died of breast cancer in July 1991. It was her wish to establish a race to raise funds for breast cancer awareness and education.
2016 Race Details
- Total registrants: More than 15,560 – the third largest turnout in race history
- Money raised for the Especially for You fund: More than $481,000 in race registrations.
- Total number of registered teams: 416
Teams with Most Members:
- Mercy Medical Center - 1,248
- Fairfax State Savings Bank – 1,079
- Transamerica – 261
Top Organization Teams with Most Members:
- General Mills – 160
- Rockwell Collins – 132
- Kennedy Volleyball – 93
Top Business Teams with Most Members:
- OBGYN & Associates PC – 177
- Schimberg – 172
- Toyota Financial Services – 120
Top Family Teams with Most Members:
- Team Deb: Live Life Until The End – 160
- The Walford Smash – 103
- Pamela Jo – 100
- Race participants represented 33 states, 481 U.S. cities and came from as far away as Canada.
- The oldest registrant was Howard Powers at 93 years old.
- Total number of cancer survivors registered for the race – 694
- This year’s t-shirt color was mint green. The color is changed every year.
- Race results will be posted at www.especiallyforyourace.org later today.