Fit Families - Get Active
Mercy Health Plaza
Mercy Fitness Center
5264 Council Street NE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
Various class times offered
To educate families on how to think, eat and exercise in healthier ways.
- Targets children who are overweight and their families
- Offers structured exercise sessions, nutritional education and social support.
To assist the child and his/her family in making positive lifestyle choices for the long term.
These are our 5 goals for our families:
5 fruits and vegetables every day
3 meals every day
2 hours or less of screen time (computers, TV, video games)
1 hour or more of physical activity
0 or almost no sweetened beverages
A comprehensive program that teaches important lifestyle changes, including appropriate portion sizes, goal setting, rethinking your drink, meal planning, eating out healthfully, and the importance of regular activity.
- 6 Sessions
- Meets every 2nd and 4th Thursday from 5:30 to 6:45pm
- Location: Mercy Fitness Center, 5264 Council Street NE, Cedar Rapids
- Cost of the Program: $25 per enrolled child
- Participants may enroll at any time
- Each session will include a 30 minute interactive nutrition lesson and 30 minutes of group exercise
- Staff monitors blood pressure, weight, height and waist cicumference
- Requires child to attend with a parent. Full family participation is encouraged.
- Lessons are led by Registered Dietitians and an Exercise Specialist
- Self-referrals and provider referrals are accepted
- Communication with primary care provider to provide progress of the participant
Pre-registration is required. For questions or to register, call 319-369-4602 or email.
Please Note: Our next session of Fit Families-Get Active will start on Thursday, September 12, 2013.
We have been helping families get healthy since 2006. Please let us help your family!