Sajida Ahad, MD, FACS
Bariatric Surgery and
General and Minimally Invasive Surgery
Schedule an Appointment
To schedule an appointment with Sajida Ahad, please call 319-398-6747
Areas of Interest
General, foregut and bariatric surgery, as well as gastrointestinal cancers.
Year began practicing: 1998
Year joined staff: 2014
Year began practicing in specialty: 2001
Education and Training
- Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan, MBBS
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, general surgery
- University of Washington, Seattle, WA, minimally invasive surgery and bariatric surgery
Teaching or Professional Positions
Director of Mercy Bariatric Surgery Program
Associate Professor – University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa
- American College of Surgeons
- Society of Surgery to Alimentary Tract (SSAT)
- American Society of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery (ASMBS)
- Society of Alimentary and Gastrointestinal Surgeons (SAGES)
Honors, Awards, etc.
- 2022 Nominee for Patient Advocate Award
- 2019 Nominee for Patient Advocate Award
- 2018 Nominee for Patient Advocate Award
- 2018 Nominee for Mentor/Educator Award, one of Mercy's Annual Provider Awards
- Board certified general surgery
- Fellowship trained in minimally invasive surgery
- Fellowship trained in bariatric surgery
- Advanced Trauma Life Support – ATLS
- Board certified in obesity medicine
Dr. Ahad enjoys spending leisure time cooking, traveling, gardening, and spending time outdoors.
Philosophy Of Care
Assist and encourage patients to become active participants in their own health care choices through providing open communication, patient education, and encourage patient autonomy.
Mercy’s General Surgery Clinic is a collaborative initiative between Mercy Medical Center and UI Health Care, and comprised of University of Iowa surgical faculty members.