All available appointments have been scheduled. Please do not call your provider's office. Instead, check our website regularly; we will open more appointments as supply allows.
View All Locations
View All Medical Services
View All Event Categories
Home > Health & Wellness > Watts Medical Library > Library Founders
The Watts Library is named for Dr. Campbell F. Watts, Sr. (PDF), and his wife Doris J. Watts, who together provided a generous gift to build the library.
Dr. Campbell Watts graduated first in his class at the University of Iowa School of Medicine in 1943. He completed a surgery residency at Mayo Clinic before opening his practice in Cedar Rapids. Along with his busy medical practice, Dr. Watts presented more than 30 scientific papers at professional meetings and conferences, published several articles, and wrote or contributed to three books. He remained active in researching and writing about medical issues until his death in 2007.
Dr. Watts founded the Mercy internship and residency program in 1957 and served as education program chair for 10 years. He continued as a teacher and preceptor for the residency program throughout his career. He served as president of the medical staff at both Mercy and St. Luke's, and was president of the Linn County Medical Society and the Iowa Clinical Surgical Society. Among his numerous awards is Mercy's Gold Headed Cane Award for Medical Laureates, awarded to Dr. Watts in 1991, the very first recipient. His Gold Headed Cane now hangs in the Watts Library.
Mrs. Doris Watts was an active member of the Mercy Auxiliary, serving as president from 1958 to 1960. She helped establish Mercy's Junior Volunteer Program and the Mercy Hospital Christmas Show. From 1961 to 1965, she represented her district on the Iowa Counsel for Hospital Auxiliaries.
Mrs. Watts was a founder of the Mercy Hospital Gift Shop and served as chairperson for more than 20 years. During her years of involvement, Mercy Flowers and Gifts contributed a total of $611,500 to the hospital, increasing its annual support to Mercy tenfold. Gift shop donations in those years supported the purchase of ultrasound equipment, laser technology for surgery, a CT scanner, and the Hallmar renovation.