To minimize potential exposure to influenza (flu) & other viruses, precautions are in effect until further notice.
View All Locations
View All Medical Services
View All Event Categories
Home > Mercy News > Mercy donates AEDs to area schools, organizations
Published on November 28, 2016
Mercy Medical Center is donating Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs) to 12 area schools, churches and community organizations this month. Presentation of the AEDs will take place at the following times and locations in Cedar Rapids and surrounding communities:
Tuesday, Nov. 29:
1. 9:30 a.m. - Grant Wood Elementary School, 645 26th Street SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52403
2. 3:30 p.m. - Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 518 Rowley St., Walker, IA 52352
3. 4:15 p.m. - St. Mary Catholic Church, 402 Ash Ave., Urbana, IA 52345
Wednesday, Nov. 30:
4. 1 p.m. - Wright Elementary School, 1524 Hollywood Blvd. NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
Thursday, Dec. 1:
5. 7 p.m. - Olin Hose Company, 413 Highland, PO Box 38, Olin, IA 52320
Friday, Dec. 2:
6. 11:30 a.m. - Olivet Neighborhood Mission, 230 10th Street NW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52405
7. 12:15 p.m. - Kenwood Learning Academy, 3700 E Ave NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
8. 1 p.m. - Emerson Elementary, 777 S. 15th Street, Marion, IA 52302
Friday, Dec. 9:
9. 10:30 a.m. - Grant Elementary School, 254 Outlook Dr. SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
10. 1 p.m. - Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church, 6621 C Avenue NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
11. 1:45 p.m. - Arthur Elementary School, 2630 B Ave. NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
12. Jefferson High School, 1243 20th Street SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52241
The AEDs will be placed in readily accessible locations at the schools and organizations, to be used in case of an emergency.
AEDs are portable devices that check heart rhythm and treat Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA). When needed, an AED can send an electric shock to the heart to try to restore a normal rhythm.
The AED donation program at Mercy is designed to equip local non-profits demonstrating financial need with the life-saving devices. The non-profits must also exhibit a need for AED coverage for their facility and participate in an application process.
Mercy is partnering with ThinkSafe, in Cedar Rapids, to make the AEDs available for donation.
According to the American Heart Association, SCA kills more people every year than strokes, AIDS and breast cancer. A key to fighting SCA is defibrillation (use of an AED) within a very short period of time from the onset of SCA.