View All Locations
View All Medical Services
View All Event Categories
Home > Medical Services > Employee Assistance Program (EAP) > Employee Resources & Support > EAP Educational Articles > Compassion Fatigue
Compassion fatigue is when you feel physically, emotionally and psychologically exhausted from helping others, which can make it hard for you to feel empathetic toward others. Often, compassion fatigue happens from being overly stressed from helping someone through their traumatic event(s).
To treat compassion fatigue, you need to help yourself. Below are a few ways about how to treat compassion fatigue.
1. Talk to a therapist.By talking about what you’re feeling, you can begin to heal as you put yourself first. A therapist provides a safe space for you to talk about your feelings and to feel heard. Through that simple act, your wellbeing will improve. Additionally, a therapist can also recommend healthy ways to cope with compassion fatigue outside of therapy.
2. Focus on self-care.When was the last time you did something nice for yourself? Going to the spa, having a massage, resting and enjoying a hobby are small steps to build yourself back up again. By recognizing you are a person who also has needs is important, and self-care is a useful tool when recovering from compassion fatigue.
3. Do something you enjoy every day.Every morning, think about one thing you can do for yourself that day: pick up your favorite coffee on your way to work; have a healthy, delicious meal; go on a walk; make time to watch your favorite TV show; or something you would enjoy.
4. Learn to be grateful.At the end of the day, think about one thing that you’re grateful for or made you happy that day, such as you completed your tasks at work, it was a beautiful day outside or your pet was excited to see you once you got home. It’s healthy to see there are good things in your life – no matter how small.
5. Connect with loved ones or friends.It’s important to make time for yourself, as is sustaining healthy relationships. You need to have someone to confide in and have fun with, so try not to shut others out of your life. The company of others can uplift your spirits and make you feel loved.